The Connellsville & Monongahela is a corporation of the State of Pennsylvania, having its principal office at Leckrone, Pa. It is controlled by E. H. Gary and Richard Trimble, trustees, who hold a majority of capital stock for the beneficial interest of the Federal Steel Company, the company that owned a majority of the capital stock. The records do not indicate that this company controls any common-carrier corporaton. The property of the Connellsville & Monongahela was operated by the Pennsylvania Railroad under lease from the date the original property was acquired, March 10, 1905, to June 1, 1905. From that date to date of valuation the property has been operated by the Monongahela Railroad and its successor, the Monongahela Railway, under lease from the Pennsylvania Railroad.
The Connellsville & Monongahela was incorporated under the general laws of Pennsylvania, through filing with the secretary of state, March 10, 1905, an agreement dated March 6, 1905, for the purpose of consolidating the property, rights, and franchises of the Masontown & New Salem Railroad Company and the Connellsville Central Railroad Company, which was done. The date of organization was March 10, 1905. The two railroad corporations named comprise the line of corporate succession culminating in the Connellsville & Monongahela as at present constituted. The Masontown & New Salem and the Connellsville Central were incorporated under the general laws of Pennsylvania, September 11, 1899, and August 2, 1902, respectively.
The owned mileage of the Connellsville & Monongahela, 20.588 miles, was acquired partly by construction, partly by consolidation and partly by purchase. The years when the various portions of the line were constructed, and the manner in which the Connellsville & Monongahela acquired the property are indicated in the following table:
|Acquired by construction:|
|Republic, Pa., to Ralph Works of the H. C. Frick Coke Company, Dec. 1908, to Nov. 1909||2.45|
|Constructed partly by the Connellsville Central and completed by the Connellsville & Monongahela, Low Phos Junction to Brownsville, Pa., completed 1905||8.52||10.97|
|Acquired by consolidation:|
|From the Masontown & New Salem, constructed by that company, Moser Run Junction, Pa., to Buffington Works of the H. C. Frick Coke Company, 1899-1902||6.04|
|From the Connellsville Central, constructed by that company, Buffington Works of the H. C. Frick Coke Company to Low Phos Junction, Pa., Sept. 1903 to Mer., 1905||3.58||9.62|
|Acquired by purchase from:|
|Thompson-Connellsville Coke Company, Nov. 28, 1908, constructed by that company, junction with Lilly Run Branch to No. 2 works of the above-named company, 1904-1905||0.87|
|Tower Hill-Connellsville Coke Company, Nov. 28, 1908, constructed by that company, junction with Thompson No. 2 Branch to No. 2 works of above-named company, 1904-1905||0.60|
|H. C. Frick Coke Company, June 1, 1909, constructed by that company, Dearth Junction to Dearth Works of above-named company, year not ascertained||0.37||1.84|
|Difference between mileage recorded and mileage inventoried||1.842|
|Mileage inventoried as of date of valuation||20.588|
The 10.97 miles of road, acquired by construction, was constructed by the Pennsylvania Railroad for the Connellsville & Monongahela.
The entire property of the Connellsville & Monongahela is leased to the Pennsylvania Railroad for an indefinite period from June 27, 1906, which company operated the property from March 10, 1905, to June 1, 1905, by virtue of an agreement dated October 27, 1899, with the Masontown & New Salem. From June 1, 1905, to date of valuation the property of the Connellsville & Monongahela has been solely operated by the Monongahela Railroad and its successor, the Monongahela Railway, under sublease froom the Pennsylvania Railroad. Details with respect to the operation of this property are given in the chapter on leased railway property in the report on the Monongahela Railway.
|Original data source:||Valuation Reports Vol. 23 pp 65-66, 72|
Interstate Commerce Commission
Although published in 1929, the report is "...as of date of valuation" which was 30 June, 1916