Corporate Genealogy
Cleveland and Pittsburgh

INTRODUCTORY

The Cleveland and Pittsburgh is a corporation of the States of Ohio and Pennsylvania, having its principal office at Cleveland, Ohio. Its annual report filed with us for the year ending on the date of valuation does not indicate that the control of the company is with any individual or corporation. The records do not indicate that the company controls any carrier corporation. From the date it was place in operation, to the date of valuation, the property has been operated as follows:

Own organization Mar. 18, 1851, to Jan. 24, 1860
Jointly by own organization and The Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne and Chicago Rail Road Company Jan. 25, 1860, to June 13, 1860
Jointly by receiver and the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne and Chicago Rail Road Company June 14, 1860, to Feb. 25, 1862
Jointly by receiver and the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne and Chicago Feb. 26, 1862, to Mar. 31, 1863
Jointly by own organization and the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne and Chicago Apr. 1, 1863, to January, 1869
Jointly by receiver and the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne and Chicago January, 1869, to February, 1869
Jointly by own organization and the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne and Chicago February, 1869, to June 30, 1869
Jointly by own organization and the Pennsylvania Railroad July 1, 1869, to Mar. 31, 1871
Jointly by own organization and Pennsylvania Company Apr. 1, 1871, to Nov. 30, 1871
Pennsylvania Company Dec. 1, 1871, to date of valuation

CORPORATE HISTORY

The Cleveland and Pittsburgh was incorporated by a special act of the Ohio Legislature, approved March 14, 1836, and by special act of the Pennsylvania Legislature approved April 8, 1850. It originally was authorized to construct a railroad from Cleveland, Ohio, in the direction of Pittsburgh, Pa., to some point on the Ohio-Pennsylvania State line. Amendments to the articles of incorporation, effected through filing certificates dated March 11, 1845; February 16, and April 11, 1862, provided, among other things, for the extension of the railroad to Pittsburgh and for the construction of numerous branch lines.

The Cleveland and Pittsburgh acquired by deed dated November 30, 1898, the property of the Salineville Railroad Company, unincorporated.

DEVELOPMENT OF FIXED PHYSICAL PROPERTY

Of the 205.333 miles of road owned by the Cleveland and Pittsburgh approximately 205 miles were acquired by construction, as follows:

Location Year
opened for
operation
Approximate
mileage
Cleveland to Hanover, Ohio 1851 75
Hanover to Wellsville, Ohio 1852 25
Bayard to Oneida, Ohio 1853 6
Oneida to New Philadelphia, Ohio 1854 26
Wellsville, Ohio to Rochester, Pa. 1856 22
Yellow Creek to Bellaire, Ohio 1856 44
New Philadelphia to Roswell, Ohio, including branches to Canal Dover and mines of Goshen Coal Company 1897
1902
1903
7
TOTAL 205

On October 1, 1913, the Cleveland and Pittsburgh acquired by purchase from the Toledo, Columbus and Ohio River the branch of that railroad extending from Zoarville to Valley Junction, Ohio, about 0.61 mile. It also acquired about 3 miles of road, extending from Salineville, Ohio, to the Osborne coal mines, formerly the property of the Salineville Railroad Company. This property was classified as sidetracks on date of valuation.


Original data source: Valuation Reports Vol. 23 pp 531-532, 549-550
Interstate Commerce Commission
Washington, DC
January 1929

Although published in 1929, the report is "...as of date of valuation" which was 30 June, 1916


HTML by Robert T. Netzlof 26 March 2001
Valuation date corrected 7 July 2005
Find an error? Have a comment? Tell Bob.