The property of the Columbus and Xenia was operated by its own organization from the date the road was opened for operation, February 22, 1850, to November 30, 1853; jointly by the Columbus and Xenia and the Little Miami Railroad from December 1, 1853, to November 29, 1868; by the Little Miami Railroad from November 30, 1868, to November 30, 1869; by The Pittsburg, Cincinnati and St. Louis Railway Company from December 1, 1896, to September 30, 1890; and by the Panhandle from October 1, 1890, to date of valuation. The operation by the Panhandle included the property jointly as well as wholly owned.
The construction of the property of the Columbus and Xenia was begun by contractors in 1845, and that portion of the railroad extending from Columbus to the Greene County line, Ohio, about 40 miles, was opened for operation in February, 1850. The portion extending from the Greene County line to Xenia, Ohio, about 13 miles, was constructed by the Little Miami Railroad under an agreement dated October 29, 1847, and was completed and delivered to the Columbus and Xenia on April 1, 1850. However, the exact date this portion of the road was opened for operation can not be ascertained. Premininary surveys were made in the year 1851 for the extension of the railroad from Xenia to Dayton, Ohio, but this project was abandoned in 1853. The Columbus and Xenia acquired by deed dated January 4, 1865, an undivided one-third interest in the property of the Dayton, Xenia and Belpre, consisting of a line of railroad extending from Xenia to Dayton, Ohio, 15.372 miles. The remaining undivided two-thirds interest is owned by the Little Miami Rialroad.
To date of valuation, the records of the Columbus and Xenia record that it acquired investments in other companies and investments in notes of individuals and companies in the total par value of $1,014,218.49, which were recorded at a book value of $1,032,871.07, [...]. The records of the Columbus and Xenia record that it disposed of $826,218.49 par value of the foregoing investments, which had a book value of $844,385.24, [...]. This left investments on hand on date of valuation, as follows:
|Investments in nonaffiliated companies:||Par value||Book value|
|Scioto Valley Traction Company, capital stock:|
|First-preferred, 5 per cent||39,000.00||37,635.00|
|Second-preferred, 5 per cent||9,000.00||8,362.50|
|Cleveland and Cincinnati Telegraph Company, capital stock,common||2,000.00||2,000.00|
|The Huber Manufacturing Company, Marion, Ohio, capital stock, preferred 6 per cent cumulative||52,000.00||54,488.33|
|City of Columbus, Ohio--|
|Street-improvement 4 per cent bonds, due Mar. 1, 1922||6,000.00||6,000.00|
|Street-improvement 4 per cent bonds, due Sept. 1, 1922||1,000.00||1,000.00|
|Fire-department 4.1 per cent bonds, due Oct. 1, 1930||1,000.00||1,000.00|
|Main-trunk sewer 4 per cent bonds, due Mar. 1, 1933||2,000.00||2,000.00|
|Sewage-disposal 4 per cent bonds, due Sept. 1, 1933||5,000.00||5,000.00|
|Garbage-disposal 4 per cent bonds, due Sept. 1, 1936||27,000.00||27,000.00|
|Water-main extension 4 per cent bonds, due Sept. 1, 1942||5,000.00||5,000.00|
|Grade-crossing 4 per cent bonds, due Oct. 1, 1947||4,000.00||4,000.00|
|City of Cincinnati, sinking fund, bonds, 3.65 per cent, due Feb. 1, 1937||20,000.00||20,000.00|
|City of Cleveland, Ohio--|
|Park 4.25 per cent bonds, due Oct. 1, 1938||10,000.00||10,000.00|
|City Hall Improvement 4.1 per cent bonds, due July 1, 1936||2,000.00||2,000.00|
|Grand View Heights school district 4.5 per cent bonds, due Apr. 1, 1935||3,000.00||3,000.00|
During the period from December 1, 1853, to November 29, 1868, the entire property wholly and jointly owned by the Columbus and Xenia, together with the property which is wholly and jointly leased during that period, was operated by the Columbus and Xenia jointly with the Little Miami Railroad under an agreement termed a "contract of union", dated November 30, 1853. The property then wholly and jointly leased by the Columbus and Xenia is described as follows:
The line of the Dayton, Xenia and Belpre, extending from Xenia to Dayton, Ohio, was leased to the Columbus and Xenia on December 11, 1858, effective January 1, 1859. On January 3, 1865, the property of the Dayton, Xenia and Belpre was sold at foreclosure sale and conveyed by deed dated January 4, 1865, jointly to the Columbus and Xenia and the Little Miami Railroad.
On November 30, 1868, the "contract of union" agreement, first referred to above, was dissolved and the entire property wholly owned, jointly owned, and jointly leased by the Columbus and Xenia, as previously described, was leased to the Little Miami Railroad under an agreement dated March 18, 1869, effective November 30, 1868, for a period of 99 years, renewable forever. On date of valuation the property wholly owned, jointly owned, and jointly leased by the Columbus and Xenia was operated by the Panhandle under the terms of the leases referred to, and subsequent agreement, further details of which can be found in the portion of this appendix devoted to the Little Miami Railroad and to the Panhandle.
|Original data source:||Valuation Reports Vol. 24 pp 362, 372-373, 375|
Interstate Commerce Commission
Although published in 1929, the report is "...as of date of valuation" which was 30 June, 1918