The Dayton Union Railway Company, hereinafter called the Dayton Union, owns and operates a passenger terminal in the city of Dayton, Ohio. The property consists of a brick station building and annex, terminal tracks, train sheds and other staion facilities. On date of valuation the property was used by the following companies, the first three of which are hereinafter referred to as the controlling companies:
The Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railway Company
The Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railway Company
The Cincinnati, Hamilton and Dayton Railway Company
Dayton and Union Railroad Company
The Dayton Union owns and uses 0.543 mile of first main tracks, 1.311 miles of other main tracks, and 0.351 mile of yard tracks. It also operates, as agent, 3.42 miles of tracks owned by the controlling companies.
The Dayton Union is a corporation of the State of Ohio, having its principal office at Dayton, Ohio. The Dayton Union is controlled by the controlling companies through ownership by each of one-third of the outstanding capital stock.
The Dayton Union was incorporated February 25, 1892, under the general laws of Ohio, the purpose being to purchase depot grounds and locate, construct, and maintain a union station and passenger depot. The date of organization was March 17, 1892.
Construction work upon the terminal property was begun in 1899 and the depot opened for operation on July 21, 1900. The contractor for the station building was S. W. Hornbrook, who, according to the records, was not affliated with the Dayton Union.
|Solely used but not owned, leased from--|
|Controlling companies, real estate at Dayton used for terminal purposes. Leased to Dayton Union for 99 years, for which is paid a yearly rental equivalent to 7 per cent on the outstanding capital stock||$22,470.00|
|Dayton and Union Railroad Company, real estate at Dayton, used for terminal purposes. Leased to Dayton Union for 99 years, for which is paid a yearly rental of 5 per cent on an agreed valuation of $47,000||2,350.00|
The property of the Dayton Union on the date of valuation is used by the tenant companies under 99-year agreements which provide for payment on a basis of service of a sum equal to the net expenses of maintenance and operation and taxes, interest on bonds, sinking fund contribution, 7 per cent on the outstanding capital stock and rental for land leased from the Dayton and Union Railroad Company.
The Dayton Union owns jointly and uses jointly with other carriers a bridge and undergrade crossing located at Carrie Street, Dayton, Ohio. This structure is owned 39.19 per cent by the Dayton Union and the remainder is owned in varying proportions by the Dayton and Western Railroad Company (The Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railway Company, Lessee), The Cincinnati, Hamilton and Dayton Railway Company, and the Dayton and Union Railroad Company.
|Original data source:||Valuation Reports Vol. 23 pp 928, 931, 936|
Interstate Commerce Commission
Although published in 1929, the report is "...as of date of valuation" which was 30 June, 1916