Corporate Genealogy
Elmira and Lake Ontario

INTRODUCTORY

The Elmira and Lake Ontario is a corporation of the State of New York, having its principal office at New York City. The company is controlled by The Northern Central Railway Company, through ownership of all of the outstanding capital stock. The records reviewed do not indicate that the Elmira and Lake Ontario controls any other common-carrier corporation. The property was operated from December 31, 1886, by the Northern Central under agency agreement of February 15, 1887, and from January 1, 1911, to December 31, 1917, by the Pennsylvania Railroad, lessee of the Northern Central. On January 1, 1918, its common-carrier property, with that of the Pennsylvania Railroad, was taken over for operation by the United States Railroad Administration, which operates it at date of valuation.

CORPORATE HISTORY

The Elmira and Lake Ontario was incorporated under general laws of New York through articles of consolidation, dated July 27, 1886, filed December 31, 1886, for the purpose of acquiring the property, rights, and franchises of the Chemung Railroad Company, the Elmira, Jefferson and Canandaigua Rail Road Company, and Sodus Bay and Southern Railroad Company. The company was organized December 31, 1886.

Pursuant to the above purpose, the Elmira and Lake Ontario acquired at its organization the property, rights, and franchises of the three railroad corporations named. On December 27, 1888, it acquired by merger the property, rights, and franchises of the Canandaigua Lake Railroad Company. The Elmira and Lake Ontario, itself, and those corporations, together with their predecessors, total 16 different corporations, one of which underwent a change of name, and comprise the line of corporate succession culminating in the Elmira and Lake Ontario as at present constituted.

The following chart shows the names of the corporations, the respective dates of incorporation, and for each predecessor the date of succession, the immediately succeeding corporation, and the manner of succession. Reference to each of these corporations is made in the last column by its respective number shown in the first column.

No. Name Incorporation Succession
1 The Elmira and Lake Ontario Railroad Company Under general laws of New York, through articles of consolidation, dated July 27, 1886, filed Dec. 31, 1886.
2 Chemung Railroad Company Under special law of New York, May 14, 1845. Consolidated Dec. 31, 1886, with 3 and 7, to form 1.
3 Elmira, Jefferson and Canandaigua Rail Road Company. Under general laws of New York, Feb. 18, 1859. Consolidated Dec. 31, 1886, with 2 and 7, to form 1.
4 Elmira, Canandaigua & Niagara Falls Rail Road Company. Under general laws of New York, May 2, 1857. Sold at foreclosure, July 23, 1858, and reorganized Feb. 18, 1859, as 3.
5 Canandaigua and Elmira Rail Road Company. See 6. Sold at foreclosure, Apr. 23, 1857, and reorganized May 2, 1857, as 4.
6 The Canandaigua and Corning Railroad Company. Under special law of New York, May 14, 1845. Name changed to 5, Sept. 14, 1852.
7 Sodus Bay and Southern Railroad Company. Under general laws of New York, Nov. 6, 1882. Consolidated Dec. 31, 1886, with 2 and 3 to form 1.
8 The Lake Ontario Southern Railway Company. Under general laws of New York and Pennsylvania, through articles of consolidation, dated Oct. 13, 1879, filed in New York, Dec.17, 1879, and in Pennsylvania, Jan. 14, 1880. Sold at foreclosure Sept. 4, 1882, and reorganized Nov. 5, 1882, as 7.
9 Ontario Southern Railroad Company. Under general laws of New York, Nov. 30, 1875. Consolidated Dec. 17, 1879, with 11, to form 8.
10 The Sodus Point and Southern Rail Road Company. Under general laws of New York, Mar. 19, 1852. Sold at foreclosure Sept. 21, 1875, and reorganized Nov. 30, 1875, as 9.
11 The Geneva, Hornellsville and Pine Creek Railway Company. Under general laws of New York and Pennsylvania, through articles of consolidation, dated Nov. 17, 1875, filed in Pennsylvania, Jan. 13, 1876, and in New York, Jan. 31, 1876. Consolidated Dec. 17, 1879, with 9, to form 8.
12 The Rochester, Hornellsville & Pine Creek Railroad Company. Under general laws of New York, Mar. 30, 1872. Consolidated Jan. 13, 1876, with 13 and 14, to form 11.
13 Gaines and State Line Rail Road Company. Under general laws of Pennsylvania, Nov. 4, 1875. Consolidated Jan. 13, 1876, with 12 and 14, to form 11.
14 The Geneva and Hornellsville Railway. Under general laws of New York, through articles of consolidation. dated Mar. 23, 1875, filed Nov. 12, 1875. Consolidated Jan. 13, 1876, with 12 and 13, to form 11.
15 The Geneva and Southwestern Railway Company. Under general laws of New York, May 29, 1871. Consolidated Nov. 12, 1875, with 16, to form 14.
16 The Geneva Southwestern and Hornellsville Railway Company. Under general laws of New York, Nov. 29, 1872. Consolidated Nov. 12, 1875, with 15, to form 14.
17 Canadaigua Lake Railroad Company. Under general laws of New York, July 21, 1887. Merged Dec. 27, 1888, into 1.

DEVELOPMENT OF FIXED PHYSICAL PROPERTY

The owned mileage of the Elmira and Lake Ontario, 99.898 miles, was acquired principally through the consolidation of December 31, 1886; 1.43 miles was acquired through the merger of the Canandaigua Lake Railroad Company. Of the 16 corporations that comprise the line of corporate succession culminating in the Elmira and Lake Ontario as at present constituted, 12 corporations did not construct any road or other common-carrier property. These companies were:

The property constructed by the remaining corporations, the years when the various portions of the line were constructed, and the manner in which the Elmira and Lake Ontario acquired the property are indicated in the following table, wherein, to facilitate comparison with the table showing the corporate succession, previously given, the same order of corporations is maintained.

Acquired in the consolidation of Dec. 31, 1886:
      From the Chemung Railroad Company, Dec. 31, 1886, constructed by that company, Jefferson (now Watkins) to Horseheads, N.Y., 1849-1850 17.36
From the Elmira, Jefferson and Canandaigua Rail Road Company, Dec. 31, 1886, constructed by the Canandaigua and Corning Railroad Company, Jefferson (now Watkins) to Canandaigua, N.Y., Sept. 15, 1851 46.70
From the Sodus Bay and Southern Railroad Company, Dec. 31, 1886, constructed by the Sodus Point and Southern Rail Road Company--
      Sodus Point to Gorham, N.Y., commenced in 1852, completed February, 1873 35.00
Less road abandoned, Stanley to Gorham, Feb. 16, 1873 1.40 33.60
From the Canandaigua Lake Railroad Company, Dec. 27, 1888, constructed by that company, Canandaigua to Canandaigua Lake, N.Y., September, 1887 1.43
TOTAL 99.09
Plus remeasurements and reclassification by the Elmira and Lake Ontario 0.63
Toal recorded miles 99.72
Difference between recorded mileage and mileage inventoried 0.178
Mileage inventoried as of date of valuation 99.898

TRAFFIC CONNECTIONS

The Elmira and Lake Ontario has connections with other carriers for the interchange of traffic, as follows:

 
Carrier
 
 
Connecting point
 
The Elmira and Williamsport Railroad Company
  (Pennsylvania Railroad, lessee)
Southport Junction, N. Y.
The Delaware, Lackwanna and Western Railroad Company Elmira, N. Y.
Erie Railroad Company Chemung Junction, Elmira, and Southport, N. Y.
Lehigh Valley Railroad Company Elmira, Horseheads, and Stanley, N. Y.
Marion Railway Company Newark, N. Y.
The New York Central Railroad Company Himrod Junction, Penn Yan, Canandaigua, Phelps Junction, Newark, and Wallington, N. Y.

LEASED RAILWAY PROPERTY

The entire property of the Elmira and Lake Ontario is operated by the Pennsylvania Railroad under the terms of an agreement effective January 1, 1887, between the Elmira and Lake Ontario and the Northern Central which was assumed by the Pennsylvania Railroad as of January 1, 1911, upon its lease of the property of the Northern Central. The operating company collects the revenues and pays the cost of maintenance and operation and pays any remaining sum to the Elmira and Lake Ontario. The agreement runs indefinitely and is terminable upon 30 days' notice from either party.

The Elmira and Lake Ontario, on date of valuation, has the right to use facilities owned by other companies and has let to other companies the right to use facilities owned by it to the extent indicated in the statement below. These rights were exercised and let at the date of valuation by the Pennsylvania.

The Marion Railway Corporation, successor to The Newark & Marion Railway Company has the right, under an agreement of June 11, 1907, to joint use of 1.37 miles of track and passenger and freight station facilities at Newark, N. Y. The agreement runs indefinitely and is terminable on 30 days' notice. The rent provided is $600 a year but no payment was recorded in the year ended December 31, 1917.

Solely owned, but jointly used, used with Erie Railroad Company; tracks, 19.48 miles from Chemung Junction to F. R. Tower, N. Y.; term 99 years from Feb. 16, 1916; rate per ton and per passenger according to use; joint-vacility rent income credited, year to Dec. 31, 1917 $6,910.92
Jointly used but not owned, owned by Erie; tracks, 5 miles, Southport Junction to Chemung Junction, N. Y.; term 99 years from Feb. 16, 1916; rate per ton and per passenger according to use, joint-facility rent charged, year to Dec. 31, 1917 99,950.30

In addition to these agreements, the Pennsylvania Railroad uses certain buildings and yard tracks of the Elmira and Lake Ontario at Elmira, N. Y. There is no formal agreement covering this use. The Elmira and Lake Ontario credited its joint-facility rent income account, in the year to December 31, 1917, $8,123.64 as received from the Pennsylvania Railroad for use of these terminals.

On January 1, 1918, the common-carrier property of the Elmira and Lake Ontario was taken over for operation by the United States Railroad Administration, which still operates it on date of valuation.


Original data source: Valuation Reports Vol. 22 pp 902, 904-906, 914-915
Interstate Commerce Commission
Washington, DC
January 1929

Although published in 1929, the report is "...as of date of valuation" which was 30 June, 1918


HTML by Robert T. Netzlof 20 Feb. 2001
Content expanded 20 July 2002
Typographical error corrected 1 July 2002
Typographical error corrected 16 January 2005
Find an error? Have a comment? Tell Bob.