The Belt Railroad is an Indiana Corporation, having its principal office at Indianapolis, Ind.
Records do not indicate that it is controlled by any individual or corporation, or that the company controls any other common-carrier corporation.
In addition to the common-carrier property owned, the company owns and operates stock yards at Indianapolis, Ind. No investigation or inventory has been made of this property.
The accounting records of the Belt Railroad, particularly with respect to its railroad property, are incomplete. The data in this report apply both to the Belt Railroad and its predecessors.
The common-carrier property of the Belt Railroad and predecessors was operated by their own organizations from 1877 to October, 1, 1882. From the latter date to date of valuation it has been operated by the carrier [Indianapolis Union Railway], with the exception of the period January 1, 1918, to March 1, 1920, during which time the operations were conducted by the United States Railroad Administration.
The Belt Railroad was incorporated under the general laws of the State of Indiana through articles of consolidation dated September 4, 1883, and filed December 21, 1883. It was a consolidation of the two following-named carriers: Belt Railroad and Stock Yard Company (successor through change of name on April 1, 1881, to the Union Railroad, Transfer and Stock Yard Company which had been incorporated under the general laws of the State of Indiana on August 29, 1876), and The Belt Rail-Road Company of Indianapolis which had been incorporated under the general laws of the State of Indiana on May 14, 1883.
|The road owned by the Belt Railroad and Stock Yard Company which had completed the construction in 1877: Junction with the Cincinnati, Indianapolis, St. Louis and Chicago Railway (now Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railway) at North Indianapolis to a junction with the Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati and Indianapolis Railway (now Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railway) at Brightwood, Ind.||12.030|
|Through consolidation from The Belt Rail-Road Company of Indianapolis, in partly constructed condition, construction completed by Belt Railroad in 1886: P & E Eastside Junction to Lake Erie and Western Junction at East Twenty-second Street, Indianapolis, Ind.||2.150|
|Difference between total recorded mileage and mileage inventoried as of date of valuation||0.008|
|Mileage inventoried as of date of valuation||14.172|
The entire common-carrier property of the Belt Railroad is leased to the carrier [Indianapolis Union Railway], a portion for a term of 999 years from October 1, 1882, and the remainder for a term of 997 years from May 1, 1884. The terms of the lease and the rental accrued for the year ending on date of valuation are given in the chapter on leased railway property in the report on the carrier.
|Original data source:||Valuation Reports Vol. 46 pp 745-746, 749|
Interstate Commerce Commission
Although published in 1935, the report is "...as of date of valuation" which was 31 December, 1927