The Little Kanawha Railroad is a corporation of West Virginia, having its principal office at Pittsburgh, Pa. The accounting records of the Little Kanawha Railroad prior to November 21, 1901, were incomplete. Therefore, only partial information can be given from accounts regarding its financial dealings, corporate operations, or investments. Certain information has been taken from sources other than the accounting records of the company.
The Little Kanawha Railroad is controlled by the Little Kanawha Syndicate, which is composed of the Baltimore and Ohio, the Pennsylvania Company, and The Pittsburgh and Lake Erie Railroad Company. On the other hand, the records reviewed do not indicate that the Little Kanawha Railroad controls any common-carrier corporation.
The property of the Little Kanawha Railroad was operated by its own organization from the date of completion in March 1898 to April 11, 1901; by receivers from that date to December 6, 1901; by its own organization from December 7, 1901, to May 1, 1908, when the Baltimore and Ohio became operating agent and continued operations until January 1, 1918. Since the latter date its common-carrier property has been operated by the United States Railroad Administration.
The Little Kanawha Railroad was incorporated May 1, 1896, under the general laws of West Virginia. The date of organizatin was July 10, 1896.
The road owned by the Little Kanawha Railroad, extending from South Parkersburg to Owensport, W. Va., 29.377 miles, was acquired by construction during the years 1897 and 1898. The company also began the construction of an extension from Sandy Bend to Burnsville, W. Va., about 70 miles, but the work was discontinued in 1903 and had not been resumed at date of valuation.
On June 1, 1918, the Little Kanawha Railroad obtained, under verbal contract, the use of a locomotive owned by the Baltimore and Ohio at a rental of $25 per day. The rental paid for the month of June ending on date of valuation amounted to $750 and was charged to hire of equipment in the income account.
|Original data source:||Valuation Reports Vol. 42 pp 710, 714|
Interstate Commerce Commission
Although published in 1933, the report is "...as of date of valuation" which was 30 June, 1918