Corporate Genealogy
Little Miami Railroad

INTRODUCTORY

The property of the Little Miami Railroad was operated by its own organization from the date it was first opened for service, December 20, 1841, to November 30, 1853. From December 1, 1853, to November 29, 1868, the Little Miami Railroad and the Columbus and Xenia operated their property jointly. The property of the Columbus and Xenia was leased to the Little Miami Railroad on November 30, 1868, through an agreement dated March 18, 1869, for a period extending to November 31, 1967, renewable forever. From November 30, 1868, to November 30, 1869, the property of the Little Miami Railroad was again operated by its own management. Under the terms of a lease dated February 23, 1870, the owned and leased property of the Little Miami Railroad was leased to the Pittsburg, Cincinnati and St. Louis Railway Company, a predecessor of the Panhandle, from December 1, 1869, for a period extending to December 1, 1968, renewable forever. Under that lease and modifying agreements, dated May 1, 1899, and April 9, 1907, the owned and leased property of the Little Miami Railroad have been operated, from December 1, 1869, to the date of valuation, by the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and St. Louis Railway Company and its successor, the Panhandle.

[The report has no "Corporate History" chapter.]

DEVELOPMENT OF FIXED PHYSICAL PROPERTY

The wholly owned mileage of the Little Miami Railroad was all acquired by construction, which was commenced in 1837, different portions of the property being opened for operation as indicated below:

Beginning of
operation
Approxi-
mate
mileage
Cincinnati to Milford              Dec. 20, 1841 14
Milford to Xenia Agust, 1845 51
Xenia to Springfield August, 1846 19
Tracks in Cincinnati, Ohio Dec. 1, 1865   2
Total 86

By deed dated January 4, 1865, the Little Miami Railroad acquired an undivided two-thirds interest in the property of the Dayton, Xenia and Belpre Railroad Company, consisting of a line of railway extending from Xenia to Dayton, Ohio, 15.372 miles. As previously stated, the remaining undivided one-third interest in the Dayton, Xenia and Belpre Railroad Company is owned by the Columbus and Xenia.

INVESTMENTS IN OTHER COMPANIES

On the date of valuation the Little Miami Railroad recorded investments in other companies as follows:

Par Value Book value
Stocks:
     Panhandle, special guaranteed 22,500 22,500
Columbus and Xenia, common 5,500 5,500
Bonds:
Cuyahoga County, 4 per cent bridge bonds 15,000 15,000
City of Cincinnati, 3.5 and 4 per cent bonds 185,000 185,000
City of Cleveland, 4.5 per cent bonds    6,000    6,000
Total 234,000 234,000

LEASED RAILWAY PROPERTY

The entire property of the Little Miami Railroad was operated jointly with that of the Columbus and Xenia from December 1, 1853, to November 29, 1868, under an agreement dated November 30, 1853. Under this agreement, termed a contract of union, the combined properties were operated by one superintendent appointed by the joint action of the directors of both companies.

The property of the Columbus and Xenia, consisting of 54.758 miles of owned railroad, an undivided one-third interest in the railroad extending from Xenia to Dayton, 15.372 miles, formerly belonging to the Dayton, Xenia and Belpre, as previously explained, and the Columbua and Xenia lease-hold interest in the property of the Dayton and Western, consisting of 38.065 miles of railroad extending from Dayton to the Ohio-Indiana State line, were leased to the Little Miami Railroad through an agreement dated March 18, 1869, which became effective November 30, 1868, for a period extending to November 30, 1967, renewable forever. For the use of this property for the year ending on date of valuation the Little Miami Railroad charged its income account with $142,896, an amount equal to 8 per cent on the capital stock of the Columbus and Xenia.

From December 1, 1869, to date of valuation, the owned, jointly owned and leased property of the Little Miami Railroad has been operated by The Pittsburg, Cincinnati and St. Louis and the carrier under the terms of a lease dated February 23, 1870, with certain amendments thereto, effective December 1, 1868, extending to December 1, 1969, renewable forever, as explained hereinbefore in the chapter on leased railway property in the report upon the Panhandle.


Original data source: Valuation Reports Vol. 24 pp 348-349, 360-361
Interstate Commerce Commission
Washington, DC
January 1929

Although published in 1929, the report is "...as of date of valuation" which was 30 June, 1918


HTML by Robert T. Netzlof 23 April 2002
Content expanded 13 June 2002
Find an error? Have a comment? Tell Bob.