The Lykens Valley Railroad is a corporation of the State of Pennsylvania, having its principal office at Philadelphia, Pa. No accounting records of the Lykens Valley Railroad covering the period from the date of its organization to December 31, 1845, were obtained. For that reason only partial information can be given from its accounts in connection with its financial dealings, corporate operations, or investments. The records reviewed do not indicate that the Lykens Valley Railroad is controlled by any individual or corporation, nor, on the other hand, that it controls any common-carrier corporation.
The property of the Lykens Valley Railroad has been operated during its corporate life as indicated below:
|By own organization||From completion to about 1845|
|Operation suspended||From about 1845 to Oct. 31, 1848|
|By own organization||From Nov. 1, 1848 to Jan, 31, 1865|
|By Josiah Caldwell||From Feb. 1, 1865 to Jan. 31, 1866|
|By Summit Branch Railroad Company||From Feb. 1,1866 to June 30m 1880|
|By The Northern Central Railway Company||From July 1, 1880 to Dec. 31, 1910|
|By Pennsylvania Railroad||From Jan. 1, 1911 to Dec. 31,1917|
On January 1, 1918, the common-carrier property of the Lykens Valley Railroad was taken over for operation by the United States Railroad Administration as a part of the operating system of the Pennsylvania Railroad and it is so operated on date of valuation.
The Lykens Valley Railroad was incorporated April 7, 1830, under special act of the State of Pennsylvania, for the purpose of constructing and operating a railroad between Millersburg and some point on Short Mountain wholly within Dauphin County, Pa. The date of organization was January 19, 1831.
The owned mileage, 20.439 miles, was acquired partly by construction, partly by purchase, and partly without monetary consideration. The years when the various portions of the line were constructed and the manner in which the Lykens Valley Railroad acquired the property are indicated in the following statement:
|Acquired by construction, Millersburg to Lykenstown, Pa., 1834 and reconstructed 1846-1849||14.63|
|Acquired by purchase, from the Susquehanna Coal Company, June 6, 1917, at Williamstown, Pa.||1.10|
|Acquired without monetary consideration, from Josiah Caldwell, 1866; constructed by him, Lykenstown to Williamstown, Pa. 1865||4.70|
|Difference between recorded mileage and mileage inventoried||0.009|
|Mileage inventoried as of date of valuation||20.439|
The construction and reconstruction work of the Lykens Valley Railroad was performed by contract.
The property of the Lykens Valley Railroad was operated by the Pennsylvania Rialroad under lease from January 1, 1911, to December 31, 1917. From January 1, 1918, to date of valuation the common-carrier property of the Lykens Valley Railroad has been operated by the United States Railroad Administration as a part of the operating system of the Pennsylvania Railroad. Details with respect to the operations of this property are given under leased railway property in the report on the Pennsylvania Railroad.
|Original data source:||Valuation Reports Vol. 22 pg 456, 465|
Interstate Commerce Commission
Although published in 1929, the report is "...as of date of valuation" which was 30 June, 1918