The carrier is a corporation of the State of New York, having its principal office at New York, N. Y. It is controlled jointly by the New York, New Haven and Hartford, and the Pennsylvania Railroad, each company owning 50 per cent of the outstanding capital stock. On the other hand, the records reviewed do not indicate that this carrier itself controls any other common-carrier corporation. The carrier's road was partially opened for passenger traffic on April 1, 1917. On January 1, 1918, it was taken over for operation by the United States Railroad Administration, which operates it on date of valuation. The entire road was officially opened for operation in all branches on January 17, 1918.
The carrier was incorporated April 21, 1892, under the general laws of the State of New York, and was organized on the date of incorporation. On February 14, 1907, a franchise was granted to the company by the Board of Rapid Transit Commissioners for the City of New York.
The owned mileage of the carrier, amounting to 8.984 miles, all located in the city of New York, was acquired by construction, which was performed by various contractors. The records reviewed do not indicate that the contractors were affiliated with this company. A portion of the road was opened for passenger service on April 1, 1917, and the entire road was officially opened for all branches of service on January 17, 1918. The entire road passes either under or over all streets crossed, the elevated tracks comprising most of the mileage.
On January 1, 1918, the common-carrier property of the carrier was taken over by the United States Railroad Administration. The entire line was placed in operation on January 17, 1918, by the United States Railroad Administration, and was so operated on date of valuation.
On January 17, 1918, at the direction of the Director General of Railroads, the joint use of the double-track line of The Long Island Railroad Company from Fresh Pond Junction to Bay Ridge, N. Y., about 11.53 miles, for freight-train service, was commenced and was so operated on date of valuation. The amount of rental for the joint use of above property of The Long Island Railroad Company was not recorded in the records reviewed.
At date of valuation the New York, New Haven and Hartford operated through interstate passenger-train service over the tracks of the carrier between Port Morris and Woodside Avenue, N. Y. The details of the revenue received for the period January 17, 1918, to date of valuation and credited by the United States Railroad Administration to joint-facility rent income as $11,766.97, have not been ascertained.
|Original data source:||Valuation Reports Vol. 26 pp 598-599, 604-605|
Interstate Commerce Commission
Although published in 1929, the report is "...as of date of valuation" which was 30 June, 1918