The South Chicago & Southern is a corporation of the State of Illinois, having its principal office at Chicago, Ill. It is controlled by the Pennsylvania Company through ownership of the entire outstanding capital stock. On the other hand, the records do not indicate that the company controls any carrier corporation.
The property extending from the Indiana-Illinois State line to a point near Pine, Ind., about 6.14 miles, has been operated jointly, under agreement, by the Pennsylvania Company and the Chicago Terminal Transfer Railroad Company, and the latter's successor, The Baltimore and Ohio Chicago Terminal Railroad Company, since date of consolidation. The remainder of the property has been operated by the Pennsylvania Company, without written agreement, since the date of consolidation.
The South Chicago & Southern was incorporated on June 5, 1901, under the general laws of Illinois, and represents a consolidation of the properties of The South Chicago and Southern Railroad Company (1881), the State Line and Indiana City Railway Company and The Calumet River Railway Company. The South Chicago and Southern (1881) entered into an agreement of consolidation with the Calumet River Railway on February 5, 1901, and on the same date entered into an agreement of merger and consolidation with the State Line and Indiana City. The latter agreement was filed on June 5, 1901, with the secretary of state of the State of Indiana, who issued on the same date a certificate of merger and consolidation, forming the South Chicago & Southern. To complete the South Chicago & Southern's chain of title, the Calumet River Railway and the State Line and Indiana City also conveyed their property, rights and franchises to the South Chicago and Southern by separate deeds of March 1, 1904. The accounts of the three predecessors were continued to June 30, 1901, and the accounts of the South Chicago & Southern were opened on July 1, 1901. For this reason the latter date has been considered, for accounting purposes, the date of consolidation. The organization of the South Chicago and Southern (1881) was continued by the South Chicago & Southern. The three constituent companies had been incorporated under the general laws of their respective States, the South Chicago and Southern (1881) in Illinois on September 13, 1881, the Calumet River Railway in Illinois on March 5, 1883, and the State Line and Indiana City in Indiana on July 25, 1887.
Of the property owned by the South Chicago & Southern on date of valuation approximately 22 miles had been acquired in the consolidation of 1901 and approximately 1 mile by construction. The companies by which the several sections of the property were constructed and the years in which construction was completed are indicated in the following table:
|From the South Chicago and Southern Railroad company (1881):|
|Colehour to Bernice, Ill., 1887||9|
|Hegewisch, Ill. to Illinois-Indiana State line, 1887||1||10|
|From the Calumet River Railway Company, South Chicago to Hegewisch, Ill., 1895||4|
|State Line and Indiana City Railroad Company:|
|Illinois-Indiana State line to East Chicago, Ind., 1888||4|
|Illinois-Indiana State line to Hammond Junction, Ind., 1888||1|
|East Chicago to Clarke Junction, Ind., 1893||3||8|
|Total acquired from others||22|
|Acquired by construction, Clarke Junction to Pine, Ind., 1903||1|
|Approximate road mileage owned on date of valuation||23|
With the exception of the property of the Calumet River Railway, which was constructed by a nonaffiliated contractor, all of the above mileage was constructed for the respective companies by company forces of the Pennsylvania Company.
That part of the property of the South Chicago & Southern extending from the Indiana-Illinois State line to a point near Pine, Ind., a distance of about 6.14 miles, was operated jointly, under agreement, by the Pennsylvania Company and the Chicago Terminal Transfer Railroad Company or its successor, The Baltimore and Ohio Chicago Terminal Railroad company, from the date of consolidation to date of valuation. The remainder of its property has been operated since the date of consolidation by the Pennsylvania Company, without written agreement.
|Original data source:||Valuation Reports Vol. 23 pp yyy, zzz|
Interstate Commerce Commission
Although published in 1929, the report is "...as of date of valuation" which was 30 June, 1916