The railroad of The Stewartstown Railroad Company, hereinafter called the carrier, is a single-track standard-gauge steam railroad, located in the southern part of Pennsylvania. The owned mileage extends in an easterly direction from New Freedom to Stewartstown, Pa., a distance of 7.343 miles. The carrier also owns yard and side tracks totaling 1.602 miles. Its road thus embraces 8.945 miles of all tracks owned.
The carrier was organized on September 22, 1884, under the laws of Pennsylvania, but the articles of incorporation were not filed until March 31, 1901. The principal office is at Stewartstown.
The grading and masonry were done by contract and the remainder of the road was constructed by the carrier. The road was built between October 1, 1884, and September 10, 1885, and opened for operation on the latter date.
The railroad of the carrier connects at New Freedom with the line of The Pennsylvania Railroad Company, and at Stewartstown with the line of The New Park and Fawn Grove Railroad.
The carrier has joint use of The Northern Central Railway Company's passenger station at New Freedom, Pa. For this use the carrier pays $110 per month, which has been charged as operating expenses. The carrier's terminal facilities at Stewartstown are used jointly with The New Park and Fawn Grove Railroad, for which use the latter pays $50 per month, which has been taken into account as operating expenses.
|Original data source:||Decisions of the Interstate Commerce Commission Vol. 106 pp 358-359, 363, 365|
Interstate Commerce Commission
Although published in 1926, the report is "...as of date of valuation" which was 30 June, 1916