Corporate Genealogy
Toledo, Columbus & Ohio River

INTRODUCTORY

The Toledo, Columbus and Ohio River is a corporation of the State of Ohio, having its principal office at Columbus, Ohio. It is controlled by the Pennsylvania Company through ownership of the entire outstanding capital stock. The property of the Toledo, Columbus and Ohio River is operated by the Pennsylvania Company under agreement dated June 30, 1911.

CORPORATE HISTORY

The Toledo, Columbus and Ohio River was incorporated on June 21, 1911, under the general laws of the State of Ohio, through filing an agreement, dated June 13, 1911, effective July 1, 1911, providing for the consolidation of the properties, rights, and franchises of The Toledo, Walhonding Valley & Ohio Railroad Company and The Cleveland and Marietta Railway Company. The articles of incorporation were amended on July 17, 1913, to provide for changing one of the northern termini from Canal Dover to Massillon, Ohio. The following chart shows the names of the corporations comprised in the corporate history of the Toledo, Columbus and Ohio River, their respective dates of incorporation and the manner and date of succession. Reference to each of these corporations is made in the last column by its respective number shown in the first column.

# Name Incorporation Succession
1 The Toledo, Columbus and Ohio River Railroad Company. Under general laws of Ohio through articles of consolidation dated June 13, 1911, effective July 1, 1911, filed June 21, 1911.
2 The Toledo, Walhonding Valley & Ohio Railroad Company. Under general laws of Ohio through articles of consolidation dated May 18, 1891, filed May 22, 1891. Consolidated June 30, 1911, with 19, to form 1.
3 Northwestern Ohio Railway Company. Under general laws of Ohio, July 27, 1876. Consolidated May 22, 1891, with 11, to form 2.
4 Toledo and Woodville Railroad (City of Toledo, Ohio). Sold at public auction Aug. 17, 1878, and conveyed to 3 by deed of Sept. 4, 1878.
5 The Toledo, Tiffin & Eastern Rail Road Company. See 7 Sold under foreclosure July 3, 1876, to Joseph Lesley, by whom conveyed to 3, Oct. 2, 1876.
6 The Baltimore and Ohio, Toledo and Michigan Railroad Company. See 7 Name changed to 5, Sept. 9, 1871.
7 The Columbus, Tiffin and Toledo Rail Road Company. Under general laws of Ohio, Aug. 21, 1867. Name changed to 6, June 8, 1870.
8 Mansfield, Coldwater and Lake Michigan Rail Road Company. Under general laws of Michigan and Ohio through articles of consolidation dated Dec. 28, 1870, filed in Michigan May 23, 1871, and in Ohio June 1, 1871. Sold under foreclosure Aug. 28, 1877, to Joseph Lesley, who, on Nov. 28, 1877, conveyed part of the property to 3. Remainder of property sold to other companies and not a part of property owned by 1 on date of valuation.
9 Mansfield, Coldwater and Lake Michigan Railway Company. Under general laws of Ohio, May 20, 1870. Consolidated May 23, 1871, with 10, to form 8.
10 The Ohio & Michigan Railway Company. Under general laws of Michigan, May 21, 1870. Consolidated May 23, 1871, with 9, to form 8.
11 The Walhonding Valley Railway Compnay. Under general laws of Ohio, Dec. 12, 1889. Consolidated May 22, 1891, with 3, to form 2.
12 The Columbus, Sandusky and Hocking Railroad Company. Under general laws of Ohio, Aug. 22, 1895. Sold under foreclosure Sept. 24, 1902, to Paul D. Cravath, who on same date conveyed part to 2. Remainder sold Oct. 16, 1902, to The Zanesville and Western Railway Company and not a part of property owned by 1 on date of valuation.
13 The Columbus, Sandusky and Hocking Railway Company. Under general laws of Ohio, Dec. 30, 1893, through filing consolidation agreement dated Nov. 17, 1893. Sold under foreclosure Oct. 19, 1895, to a purchasing committee, who, on Nov. 4, 1895, reconveyed the property to 12.
14 The Sandusky and Columbus Short Line Railway Company. See 15 Consolidated Dec. 30, 1893, with 16, to form 13.
15 The Sandusky and Columbus, Lake Erie and Southern Short Line Railway Company. Under general laws of Ohio, Apr. 20, 1889. Name changed to 14, Oct. 22, 1891.
16 The Columbus, Shawnee & Hocking Railway Company. Under general laws of Ohio, Oct. 24, 1889. Consolidated Dec. 30, 1893, with 14, to form 13.
17 The Columbus and Eastern Railroad Company. Under general laws of Ohio, Feb. 20, 1882. Sold to 16, Jan. 1, 1890.
18 Rolling Mill Railroad Company. Under general laws of Ohio, Mar. 23, 1883. Sold, except the right to be a corporation, to 2, Mar. 11, 1904.
19 The Cleveland and Mahoning Railway Company. Under general laws of Ohio, July 12, 1886. Consolidated June 30, 1911, with 2, to form 1.
20 The Ohio Valley and Junction Railway Company. Under general laws of Ohio, Nov. 3, 1897. Sold to 19, Jan. 2, 1902.
21 The Cleveland and Marietta Railroad Company. Under general laws of Ohio, May, 29, 1879. Sold under foreclosure May 5, 1886, to certain trustees, who reconveyed the property by deed dated July 2, 1886, to George K. Nash and Allen T. Wickoff, who, in turn, conveyed it to 19 by deed dated July 16, 1886.
22 Marietta, Pittsburg and Cleveland Railway Company. See 23 Sold under foreclosure June 13, 1877, to a purchasing committee, to whom it was conveyed by deed of receiver dated Oct. 23, 1877. The purchasing committee organized 21 and conveyed property to it by deeds dated Dec. 20, 1879, and Apr. 25, 1882.
23 The Marietta and Pittsburgh Rail Road Company. Under general laws of Ohio, Sept. 29, 1868. Name changed to 22, Dec. 8, 1873.

DEVELOPMENT OF FIXED PHYSICAL PROPERTY

The Toledo, Columbus and Ohio River owned on date of valuation approximately 345 miles of road, most of which was acquired in the consolidation of 1911. In the following table are shown the years in which and the companies by which the several parts of this property were constructed and the manner in which they were acquired by the Toledo, Columbus and Ohio River.

Acquired in consolidation of 1911:
     From the Toledo, Walhonding Valley & Ohio Railroad Company--
     Constructed by--
     The Toledo, Walhonding Valley & Ohio Railroad Company--
     Branch to Union Station, Toledo, Ohio 0.36
Loudonville to Coshocton, Ohio, 1893 45.41
Toledo and Woodville Railroad (City of Toledo, Ohio), Toledo to Woodville, Ohio, 1873 18.62
The Toledo, Tiffin & Eastern Rail Road Company, Tiffin to Woodville, Ohio, 1873 24.54
Mansfield, Coldwater and Lake Michigan Rail Road Company, Toledo Junction to Tiffin, Ohio, 1873 37.11
The Columbus, Sandusky and Hocking Valley Railway Company, location not recorded, 1894 or 1895 0.60
The Sandusky and Columbus Short Line Railway Company, Sandusky to Columbus, Ohio, 1893  107.69
Total 234.33
Less mileage sold by Northwestern Ohio Railway Company in 1879 0.07 234.26
From The Cleveland and Marietta Railway Company, constructed by--
The Cleveland and Marietta Railway Company--
Tunnel through Liberty Hill, 1887 2.08
New line around Liberty Hill after destruction of tunnel by fire, 1896  8.24
Total 10.32
Less road over top of Liberty Hill, abandoned in 1887, 3.17 miles, and tunnel destroyed by fire, 1893, 2.08 miles  5.25
Total 5.07
The Cleveland and Marietta Railroad Company undivided one-third interest in 0.55 mile of road, Zoar to Valley Junction, Ohio, constructed by it jointly with Valley Railway Company, 1883 0.55
Marietta, Pittsburg and Cleveland Railway Company--
Marietta to Macksburg, Ohio, 1871 25.00
Macksburg to Canal Dover, Ohio, 1873 73.00 103.00 337.94
Reclassification of sidetrack, Canal Dover to Parral, Ohio, constructed by The Ohio Valley and Junction Railway Company, 1898, acquired with property of The Cleveland and Marietta Railway Company in consolidation of 1911 3.51
Constructed by the Toledo, Columbus and Ohio River, Parral to Harwalk, Ohio, 1914 4.41
Adjustment of mileage of undivided one-third interest, Zoarville to Valley Junction, Ohio    0.06
Total mileage acquired 345.92
Less sale, October 1, 1913, of branch road, Zoarville to Valley Junction, Ohio    0.61
Total recorded mileage owned on date of valuation 345.31
Difference between recorded mileage and mileage inventoried    0.134
Mileage inventoried as of date of valuation 345.176

The Toledo, Walhonding Valley & Ohio Railroad Company acquired about 0.71 mile of road from the Rolling Mill Railroad Company, which it reclassified as sidetrack. This property was constructed by the Rolling Mill Railroad Company in 1883. The Toledo, Walhonding Valley & Ohio Railroad Company also acquired 0.92 mile of road from The Zanesville and Western Railway Company, which it reclassified as sidetrack.

Mention is made in the subsequent reports on the predecessors of the Toledo, Columbus and Ohio River of certain railroad properties constructed and later abandoned or sold to companies which are not a part of the Toledo, Columbus and Ohio River.

[From reports on predecessor companies]

Toledo and Woodville Railroad

This company was not incorporated, but was the name of a railroad built and owned by the city of Toledo, Ohio, under authority of the general law of Ohio, dated May 4, 1869, which authorized cities of the first class to build railroads and to lease and operate them. Five trustees were appointed by the Common Pleas Court of Lucas County, Ohio, who, on September 1, 1869, organized under the name of the Board of Trustees of Toledo and Woodville Railroad. These trustees are hereinafter referred to as the trustees. At its demise the company owned about 18.62 miles of railroad, extending from Toledo to Woodville, Ohio, which it had acquired by construction. A contract for the construction of the road was entered into by the trustees on June 8. 1870, with J. Edwin Conant, who abandoned it after expending about $15,000. A second contract was entered into by the trustees, The Baltimore and Ohio, Toledo and Michigan Railroad Company, and the Mansfield, Coldwater and Lake Michigan Railway Company, whereby those companies agreed to furnish the right of way and station grounds and to build the road, including the bridge across the Maumee River. The Mansfield, Coldwater and Lake Michigan agreed to lease and operate the railroad for a term of 999 years.

In order to secure the aid of the Pennsylvania Company in the construction of the road, the Baltimore and Ohio, Toledo and Michigan, and the Mansfield, Coldwater and Lake Michigan entered into a contract on April 22, 1871, with the Pennsylvania Company, whereby the latter was to furnish track materials and construct tracks, stations, and shops, and place the road in condition for operation by the Pennsylvania Company on May 1, 1873. The property was operated by the Pennsylvania Company from May 1, 1873 to September 12, 1875, for account of The Toledo, Tiffin and Eastern Rail Road Company and the Mansfield, Coldwater and Lake Michigan under lease of March 18, 1873, to those companies, and agreement of April 22, 1871. From September 13, 1875, to September 30, 1876, it was operated by the Pennsylvania Company under arrangement with the mortgage trustees of the lessee companies, and from October 1, 1876, to the date of demise, by the Pennsylvania Company, without written agreement, for the Northwestern Ohio.

The property was sold at public auction in Toledo on August 17, 1878, and was conveyed to the Northwestern Ohio Railway Company by deed dated September 4, 1878. No accounting records of the company were obtainable.

Mansfield, Coldwater and Lake Michigan Rail Road Company

This company was incorporated in Ohio and Michigan as a consolidation of the properties, rights and franchises of the Mansfield, Coldwater and Lake Michigan Railway Company and The Ohio & Michigan Railway Company.

At its demise the company owned about 49.11 miles of completed main-line railroad, extending from a connection with the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne and Chicago at Toledo Junction, Ohio, to a connection with the Toledo, Tiffin & Eastern Rail Road Company at Tiffin, Ohio, 37.11 miles; and from Monteith to Allegan, Mich, 12 miles. In addition, it owned a partially completed railroad from Tiffin, Ohio, to Monteith, Mich., about 167.52 miles. Construction of this property was performed as follows:

A contract for the grading and construction of bridges and roadbed ready for track for that portion of the line located in Ohio was entered into May 10, 1871, with Swan, Rose and Company, and a contract for the construction of the track and buildings and the operation of the entire road was entered into July 20, 1871, with the Pennsylvania Company. The roadbed was completed practically for the entire length of the road west of Toledo Junction, and the track was laid from Toledo Junction to a point near Weston, Ohio, about 80 miles. That part of the road from Toledo Junction to Tiffin, about 37.11 miles, was opened for operation by the Pennsylvania Company on May 1, 1873.

In Michigan, right of way was procured and the road from Allegan to Monteith, about 12 miles, was completed in September, 1871, and was opened for operation on November 25, 1873. Track was also laid to a point 8 miles southwest of Monteith.

In 1873, the company ceased construction work and in about 1874 the tracks southeast of Monteith and from Tiffin to Weston were taken up. Later, portions of the road at Fostoria, Ohio, amounting to 0.8 mile, at Napoleon, Ohio, 2 miles, and from a point four miles south of Battle Creek to Monteith, Mich., about 36 miles, were sold to other carriers.

That part of the road extending from Toledo Junction to Tiffin, Ohio, was operated by the Pennsylvania Company from May 1, 1873, to December 12, 1875, under agreement of Ju;y 20, 1871. From December 13, 1875, to November 27, 1887, it was operated by the Pennsylvania Company as agent for Thomas A. Scott and George W. Cass, mortgage trustees. The road from Monteith to Allegan, Mich., was operated from November 25, 1873 to January 22, 1878 by the Grand Rapids and Indiana Railway Company as agent, without written agreement.

The property of the company was sold under foreclosure proceedings on August 28, 1877, and was conveyed to Joseph Lesley by deed of special master commissioner of September 8, 1877. The purchaser on November 28, 1877, conveyed that part of the road extending from Toledo Junction to Tiffin, Ohio, to the Northwestern Ohio Railway Company. The sections of the road from Tiffin, Ohio, to the Ohio-Michigan State line, and from Monteith to Allegan, Mich., were conveyed to other carriers and forms no part of the railroad of the Toledo, Columbus and Ohio River.

No accounting records of this company were obtainable.

LEASED RAILWAY PROPERTY

The property of the Toledo, Columbus and Ohio River is operated by the Pennsylvania Company under agreement of June 30, 1911, terminable upon six months' written notice. Under terms of this agreement the Pennsylvania Company collects all revenues and receipts due the Toledo, Columbus and Ohio River, pays all operating expenses and taxes, including maintenance and renewals, and delivers to the Toledo, Columbus and Ohio River semiannually the net earnings from operation, from which the latter pays all fixed charges and dividends and reimburses the Pennsylvania Company for additions and betterments made to the property. For the year ended on date of valuation the Toledo, Columbus and Ohio River credited its income account, income from lease of road, with $1,835,892.20 as rental for its property.


Original data source: Valuation Reports Vol. 23 589-592, 603, 688, 690-691
Interstate Commerce Commission
Washington, DC
January 1929

Although published in 1929, the report is "...as of date of valuation" which was 30 June, 1916


HTML by Robert T. Netzlof 11 April 2001
Valuation date corrected 7 July 2005
Typographical errors corrected 20 January 2008
Find an error? Have a comment? Tell Bob.