Corporate Genealogy
Vandalia Railroad

Location and general description of property-- The railroad of the Vandalia Railroad Company, herein called the Vandalia, is a standard-gauge, steam railroad, located in Illinois, Indiana, and Missouri. The mileage operated through ownership, by lease and by virtue of trackage rights, extends from St. Louis, Mo., and Peoria, Ill., to South Bend and Indianapolis, Ind., and Toledo, Ohio. In addition, the Vandalia owns and operates a line from Indianapolis to Vincennes, Ind.

CORPORATE HISTORY

The Vandalia was incorporated under the general laws of Indiana and Illinois through filing with the secretaries of state of those States on December 29, 1904, and December 31, 1904, respectively, an agreement dated December 29, 1904, for the purpose of consolidating the properties, rights, and franchises of The Terre Haute and Indianapolis Rail Road Company, The St. Louis, Vandalia and Terre Haute Railroad Company, The Terre Haute & Logansport Railway Company, the Logansport & Toledo Railway Company, and the Indianapolis and Vincennes Railroad Company. This agreement became effective January 1, 1905. The Vandalia subsequently acquired, through direct purchase, the property, rights and franchises of the St. Clair Coal Railway Company, by deed dated January 3, 1908. The Vandalia, itself, and those corporations, together with their predecessors, total 20 corporations, of which three underwent a change of name, and complete the line of succession culminating in the Vandalia as at present constituted. Of these companies nine did not construct any railroad. These companies were:

The Following chart shows the names of the corporations, the respective dates of incorporation, and for each predecessor the date of succession, the immediately succeeding corporation, and the manner of succession. Reference to each of these corporations is made in the last column by its respective number in the first column.

# Name Incorporation Succession
1 Vandalia Railroad Company Under general laws of Indiana and Illinois by agreement for consolidation dated Dec. 29, 1904, filed in Indiana Dec. 30, 1904, and Illinois Dec. 31, 1904, effective Jan. 1, 1905.
2 The Terre Haute and Indianapolis Rail Road Company. See 4 Consolidated Jan. 1, 1905, with 5, 6, 12, and 19, to form 1.
3 The Terre Haute and Richmond Railroad Company. See 4 Name changed to 2, Mar. 6, 1865.
4 The President and Directors of the Terre Haute and Richmond Rail Road Company. Under Indiana act approved Jan. 26, 1847, and acts amendatory thereto. Name changed to 3, Jan. 21, 1850.
5 The St. Louis, Vandalia and Terre Haute Railroad Company. Under Illinois act approved Feb. 10, 1865. Consolidated Jan. 1, 1905, with 2, 6, 12, and 19, to form 1.
6 Terre Haute & Logansport Railway Company. Under general laws of Indiana Nov. 30, 1898. Consolidated Jan. 1, 1905, with 2, 5, 12, and 19, to form 1.
7 Terre Haute and Logansport Railroad Company. Under general laws of Indiana Oct. 24, 1879. Sold at foreclosure Nov. 18, 1898, and acquired Dec. 1, 1898, by 6.
8 Logansport, Crawfordsville and South Western Railway Company. Under general laws of Indiana through articles of consolidation dated Nov. 5, 1869, filed Feb. 2, 1871. Sold Sept. 10, 1879, to J. S. Williams and others and conveyed by them to 7 by deed dated Nov. 1, 1879.
9 The Crawfordsville and Rockville Railroad Company. Under general laws of Indiana Feb. 1, 1869. Consolidated Feb. 2, 1871, with 10 and 11, to form 8.
10 The Frankfort and Crawfordsville Railroad Company. Under general laws of Indiana Feb. 12, 1869. Consolidated Feb. 2, 1871, with 9 and 11, to form 8.
11 The Logansport, Camden and Frankfort Railroad Company. Under general laws of Indiana May 13, 1869. Consolidated Feb. 2, 1871, with 9 and 10, to form 8.
12 Logansport & Toledo Railway Company. Under general laws of Indiana Sept. 7, 1901. Consolidated Jan. 1, 1905, with 2, 5, 6, and 19, to form 1.
13 Eel River Railroad Company. Under general laws of Indiana Dec. 4, 1877. Charter annulled Sept. 4, 1897; property sold June 10, 1901, to Elijah Smith, Wm. W. Crapo, and Daniel L. Quirk, and conveyed Sept. 12, 1901, to 12 by deed dated Sept. 12, 1901.
14 Detroit, Eel River and Illinois Rail Road Company. Under general laws of Indiana Nov. 4, 1868. Sold at foreclosure July 6, 1877, and conveyed by deed dated Sept. 10, 1877, to James F. Joy and Elijah Smith, who in turn conveyed it to 13 on Dec. 10, 1877.
15 The Detroit, Logansport and Saint Louis Rail Road Company. Under general laws of Indiana, Nov. 10, 1869. Sold and conveyed to 14 by deed dated Mar. 4, 1870.
16 The Toledo, Logansport & Northern Indiana Rail Road Company. Under general laws of Indiana, Sept. 3, 1863. Sold at foreclosure Aug. 28, 1869, and conveyed to E. W. Foskick, who in turn conveyed it to 15 by deed dated Nov. 19, 1869.
17 Logansport and Northern Indiana Railroad Company. See 18 Sold on June 18, 1863, at foreclosure to W. F. Bedell, who assigned his right to purchase the property to 16, to which it was conveyed by deed dated Oct. 15, 1863.
18 Auburn & Eel River Valley Rail Road Company. Under general laws of Indiana, Mar. 8, 1853. Name changed to 17 on Aug. 3, 1853.
19 Indianapolis and Vincennes Railroad Company. Under general laws of Indiana, Dec. 18, 1865. Consolidated Jan. 1, 1905, with 2, 5, 6 and 12, to form 1.
20 St. Clair Coal Railway Company. Under general laws of Illinois, June 30, 1904. Sold and conveyed to 1 by deed dated Jan. 3, 1908.

DEVELOPMENT OF FIXED PHYSICAL PROPERTY

Of the 651 miles of first main track owned and used by the Vandalia, 648 miles were acquired by consolidation and 3 miles by construction. The manner of acquistion, the companies from which property was acquired upon consolidation, the companies which constructed the property, and the dates upon which the property was opened for operation are indicated below:

By consolidation of Jan. 1, 1905:
     From The Terre Haute and Indianapolis Rail Road Company and constructed by that company--
     Terre Haute to Indianapolis, Ind., 1852 72
Terre Haute, Ind. to Indiana-Illinois boundary, 1870 7
Knightsville to Centerpoint, Ind., 1870 8
Brazil to Sabine City, Ind., 1887    12 99
From the St. Louis, Vandalia and Terre Haute Railroad Company and constructed by that company, Indiana-Illinois boundary to East St. Louis, Ill., opened for operation in sections during 1868 and 1870 159
From Terre Haute & Logansport Railway Company--
Constructed by the Logansport, Crawfordsville and South Western Railway Company, Rockville to Logansport, Ind., opened in sections during 1870, 1871, and 1875 93
Constructed by the Terre Haute and Logansport Railroad Company, Logansport to South Bend, Ind., 1883 and 1884 67 160
From the Logansport & Toledo Railway Company, constructed partly by the Auburn & Eel River Valley Rail Road Company and partly by the Toledo, Logansport & Northern Indiana Rail Road Company and by the Detroit, Eel River and Illimois Rail Road Company, Butler to Logansport, Ind., 1874 93
From the Indianapolis and Vincennes Railroad Company and constructed by that company--
Indianapolis to Vincennes, Ind., 1867-1869 118
Bushrod to Dugger, Ind., 1884-1885     19  137
Total 648
By construction by the Vandalia, Jan. 1, 1907, Indianapolis to Maywood Junction, Ind.     3
Grand total 651

TRAFFIC CONNECTIONS

The Vandalia has connections with other carriers for the interchange of traffic, as follows:

 
Carrier
 
 
Connecting points
 
The Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railway Company Terre Haute, Ind.
Chicago and Eastern Illinois Railroad Company Terre Haute and Vincennes, Ind.
Chicago, Terre Haute and Southeastern Railway Company Terre Haute, Ind.
Wabash Railway Company Logansport and Butler, Ind., and Decatur, Ill.
The Pittsburg, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railroad Company Logansport, Ind.
The Michigan Central Railroad Company South Bend, Ind.
The New York Central Railroad Company South Bend and Butler, Ind.
Grand Trunk Western Railway Company South Bend, Ind.
The Baltimore and Ohio Southwestern Railroad Company Vincennes, Ind.
Illinois Central Railroad Company Decatur, Ill.
The Cincinnati, Indianapolis and Western Ralroad Company Decatur, Ill.
Toledo, Peoria and Western Railway Company Farmdale, Ill.

Through terminal companies the Vandalia has connections for the interchange of business with all other carriers entering St. Louis, Mo., East St. Louis, Ill. and Indianapolis, Ind.

INVESTMENTS IN OTHER COMPANIES

To date of valuation, the Vandalia acquired investments in other companies, investments in notes of individuals and companies, and miscellaneous investments in the total par value of $3,381,919.40, which it recorded at a book value of $1,163,517.40. Of these, it disposed of $507,135.56 par value which had a like book value, prior to date of valuation, leaving a recorded investment on that date of $2,874,783.84 par value and $656,381.84 book value, comprised as follows:

Par value Book value
Investments in affiliated companies:
     Stocks--
     The Terre Haute and Peoria, capital stock, common 1,570,400.00 23,556.00
The Terre Haute and Peoria, capital stock, preferred 646,700.00 194,010.00
Missouri and Illinois Bridge and Belt Railroad Company, capital stock, common 13,000.00 13,000.00
Terminal Railroad Association of St. Louis, capital stock, common 205,800.00 1.00
Bonds, the Terre Haute and Peoria, first-mortgage 5 per cent gold bonds, due Sept. 1, 1942 69,000.00 69,000.00
Advances--
Indianapolis Union Railway Company 200,000.00 200,000.00
Granite Improvement Company 141,663.65 141,663.85
The Terre Haute and Peoria 5,220.10 5,220.10
Other investments:
Stock--
Louisiana Purchase Exposition, common stock 15,000.00 1.00
First-Second National Bank, Pittsburgh, Pa., capital stock 7,700.00 9,625.00
Bonds, Mercantile Club of St. Louis, rental income bonds 300.00 300.00
Miscellaneous:
Merchants Exchange, St. Louis, Mo., certificate of membership Unknown 1.00
Mercantile Club of St. Louis, Mo., certificate of membership Unknown 3.00
Board of Trade, Peoria, Ill., certificate of membership    Unknown        1.00
Total 2,874,783.84 656,381.84

LEASED RAILWAY PROPERTY

[Note that this report adopted a different and in my opinion less desirable form for this chapter.]

Property leased from others, used solely by the Vandalia

On date of valuation, the Vandalia used under lease from the Terre Haute and Peoria, the latter's entire owned line of railway, with all appurtenances thereon. The Terre Haute and Peoria also leased to the Vandalia its right to the joint use with the owners of 15.44 miles of track belonging to the Illinois Central Railroad Company between Decatur Junction and Maroa, and its right to the jont use with the owner of 5.05 miles of track belonging to the Toledo, Peoria and Western Railway Company, between Farmdale and Peoria. The lease under the terms of which the Vandalia operated the property was made October 1, 1892, with the Terre Haute and Indianapolis, a predecessor of the Vandalia, for a period extending to October 1, 1991. The Vandalia maintained the property of the lessor, paid the expenses incident to the operation thereof, and paid a rental to the lessor equivalent to 30 per cent of the gross earnings of the property leased. The payments for the year ended with date of valuation amounted to $298,980.30, all of which was classified by the Vandalia as rent. Out of the rental received, the Terre Haute and Peoria paid, among other things, taxes, interest on its funded debt, and the joint-facility rents.

The Illinois Central Railroad Company maintains the 7.499 miles of track owned by it and the Terre Haute and Peoria and renders bills against the Vandalia for the Terre Haute and Peoria's proportion calculated on a wheelage basis. All additions and betterments and taxes were divided equally between the owners.

The compensation for the use of the tracks of the Illinois Central Railroad Company between Decatur Junction and Maroa included in the lease between the Terre Haute and Peoria and the Vandalia was based on 3 per cent per annum on a valuation of $783,719.36 for certain tracks used jointly by the Vandalia and the owner, and 6 per cent per annum on a valuation of $17,492.10 for facilities used exclusively by the Vandalia, making a total rental of $24,561.11 per annum. An annual rental of $7,800 was paid by the Terre Haute and Peoria for the 5.05 miles of railroad between Farmdale and Peoria leased to the Vandalia.

At date of valuation the Vandalia used exclusively, under lease, the railway of the Chicago and Eastern Illinois Railroad Company, extending from Otter Creek Junction to Rockville, Ind., 16.903 miles. This lease also includes the joint use of the tracks of the Chicago and Eastern Illinois Railroad Company, extending from Terre Haute to Otter Creek Junction, Ind., 6 miles. The lease covering the use of this property was made November 1, 1879, with the Terre Haute & Logansport, a predecessor of the Vandalia, for a period extending to November 1, 1978. Under its terms the Vandalia maintained and operated the property from Otter Creek Junction to Rockville, Ind., and paid as an annual rental for the property exclusively operated and the property jointly operated $9,000 per annum, all of which was classified by the Vandalia as rent.

Property owned by others, used jointly by the Vandalia

At Peoria, Ill., the Vandalia used 0.17 mile of track and the passenger and freight faciliies of the Peoria and Pekin Union Railway Company. For the use of the track and terminal facilities the Vandalia paid an annual rental of $22,500, and, in addition thereto paid a proportion of the expense of maintenance and operation, divided on a wheelage basis. For switching facilities the Vandalia paid $1 per car on through freight and $1.25 per car on local freight. For freight handled through the freight house the Vandalia paid 28 cents per ton. The total payment made by the Vandalia for the year 1916 was $83,501.31, of which $22,500 was classed as rent and the balance was charged to operating expenses.

Between Butler, Ind., and Gould, Ohio, 69.04 miles, the Vandalia used the tracks of the Wabash Railway Company for freight and passenger traffic, and between Gould and Toledo, Ohio, 5.50 miles for passenger traffic only. For the use of the tracks between Butler, Ind., and Gould, Ohio, the Vandalia paid an annual rental of $71,000, plus 2.5 per cent on the cost of improvements (amount not determinable), a proportion of the expenses of maintenance and operation on a car-mileage basis and 50 per cent of taxes. For the use of the tracks between Gould and Toledo, the Vandalia paid $1 per passenger-train mile in addition to paying $200 per month for the cost of supervision of the tracks by general officers. The total payments made by the Vandalia for the year 1916 aggregated $115,377.07, of which $89,785.96 was classed as rent and the balance was charged to operating expenses.

At Toledo, Ohio, the Vandalia used 0.38 mile of track and the passenger depot and facilities of The New York Central Railroad Company. For the use of these facilities the Vandalia paid a proportion of 6 per cent per annum on a valuation of $630,557.01, and expense of maintenance and operation divided on a basis of the number of trains in and out of the station. The total payments made by the Vandalia for the year 1916 aggregated $2,574.99, of which $492.64 was classed as rent and the balance was charged to operating expenses.

At Toledo, Ohio, the Vandalia used 1.50 miles of track and the freight station and facilities of The Toledo, Columbus and Ohio River Railroad Company, for which it paid an annual rental of $12,000. The payment made by the Vandalia for the year 1916 was $12,000, of which amount $4,800 was classed as rent and the balance was charged to operating expenses.

Between Gould and Walbridge, Ohio, 7.79 miles, the Vandalia used the tracks of the Toledo Terminal Railroad Company for freight traffic. The compensation for the use of these tracks was 4.5 cents per car mile with a maximum charge of $1.25 per train-mile. The total payment made by the Vandalia for the year 1916 was $7,284.41, of which amount $3,632.45 was classed as rent and the remainder was charged to operating expenses.

At Indianapolis, Ind., the Vandalia used 0.12 mile of track, and the passenger station and terminal facilities of the Indianapolis Union Railway Company. For the use of these facilites the Vandalia paid a proportion of the expenses of maintenance and operation divided on a wheelage basis, and in addition paid an equal proportion with other tenants of 7 per cent per annum on the investment in the property of the Indianapolis Union Railway Company (the amount not determinable), 4.5 per cent per annum on $1,000,000 of bonds, and 1 per cent per annum for the redemption of bonds. For the year 1916 the Vandalia paid $117,042.64 for the use of these facilities, of which $33,375.82 was classed as rent, and the balance was charged to operating expenses.

At Indianapolis, Ind., the Vandalia used 0.07 mile of track of The Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railway Company without a written agreement, and the records of the Vandalia did not disclose separately any payment made for the use of this track for the year 1916.

The Vandalia used the facilities of the Terminal Railroad Association of St. Louis, consisting of 3.18 miles of track between East St. Louis, Ill., and St. Louis, Mo., and 10.43 miles of track between Willows, Ill., and St. Louis, Mo.; also the Eads Bridge and the Merchants Bridge, the Washington Avenue and Union passenger stations, and the freight station in St. Louis, Mo. The compensation for the use of tracks and passenger facilities was based upon a fixed rate for passenger cars and a proportion of the expense of maintenance and operation divided on a wheelage basis; the compensation for use of the freight station was based on a tonnage basis. The total payment for the year 1916, as recorded by the Vandalia, aggregated $171,997.48, of which amount $66,244.06 was classed as rent and the remainder was charged to operating expenses.

In addition to the foregoing the Vandalia used jointly with the owners other facilities of minor importance, consisting of interlockers, crossings, targets, passenger and freight stations, and interchange facilities.

Property owned and operated by the Vandalia, used jointly by others

Between Sand Creek and Waveland Junction, Ind., the Central Indiana Railway Company used 9.376 miles of track of the Vandalia. The compensation for the use of this track was fixed at $3,600 per annum, one-half the taxes, and a proportion of the expense of maintenance and operation divided on a car basis. The payment received by the Vandalia for the year 1916 was $5,151.36, of which $3,668.92 was classed as rent and the balance was credited to operating expenses.

At Indianapolis, Ind., the Illinois Central Railroad Company used 0.06 mile of track between McGill Street and Senate Avenue, and 0.04 mile of track between McGill Street and Capital Avenue, of the Vandalia. The Compensation for the use of the 0.06 mile of track was fixed at $1,200 per annum and for the use of the 0.04 mile of track 50 cents for each car or engine passing over same. The total payment received by the Vandalia for the use of these facilities for the year 1916 aggregated $3,299.50, of which $2,489.65 was classed as rent and the balance was credited to operating expenses.

Between Willows and East St. Louis, Ill., the St. Louis Southwestern Railway Company used 1.67 miles of track of the Vandalia, the compensation for which was based on $1.65 per train (passenger trains only). The total payment received by the Vandalia for the year 1916 was $2,396.90, of which $1,917.72 was classed as rent and the remainder was credited to operating expenses.

Between Brazil and Saline City, Ind., the Evansville and Indianapolis Railroad Company uses the tracks of the Vandalia. The compensation for the use of these tracks was based on a rental of $3,000 per annum and 3 per cent per annum on the value of improvements (the amount not determinable). The total payment received by the Vandalia for the year 1916 was $3,036.72, all of which was classed as rent.

At Terre Haute, Ind., the Chicago, Terre Haute and Southeastern Railway Company used the passenger station and facilities of the Vandalia. The compensation for the use of these facilities was based on 5 per cent per annum on a valuation of $265,000 and expense of maintenance and operation divided on a car basis. The total payment received by the Vandalia for the year 1916 was $2,742.74, of which $519.05 was classed as rent and the balance was credited to operating expenses.

At Terre Haute, Ind., the Chicago and Eastern Illinois Railroad Company used the passenger station and facilities of the Vandalia. The compensation for the use of these facilities was based on 5 per cent per annum on a valuation of $265,000 and expense of maintenance and operation divided on a car basis. The total payment received by the Vandalia for the year 1916 was $15,315.41, of which amount $2,888.28 was classed as rent and the remainder was credited to operating expenses.

At Terre Haute, Ind., the Evansville and Indianapolis Railroad Company used the passenger station and facilities of the Vandalia. For the year 1916 the Vandalia received $463.62 for the use of these facilities, on a basis of 5 per cent per annum on a valuation of $265,000 and a proportion of the expense of maintenance and operation divided on a car basis.

At Vincennes, Ind., The Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railway Company used 1.28 miles of track, the freight station, and yards of the Vandalia. The compensation for the use of these tracks and facilities was based on 2.5 per cent per annum on a valuation of $38,638.41, 50 per cent of the expense of crossing protection, and 37.5 per cent of all other costs. The total payment received by the Vandalia for the year 1916 was $13,751.07, of which amount $965.96 was classed as rent and the balance was credited to operating expenses.

In addition to the foregoing there were certain other facilities of minor importance of the Vandalia used jointly with other carriers, consisting of interlockers, crossings, crossing protection, passenger and freight stations, and interchange facilities.


Original data source: Valuation Reports Vol. 24 pp 410, 419-421, 439-444
Interstate Commerce Commission
Washington, DC
January 1929

Although published in 1929, the report is "...as of date of valuation" which was 30 June, 1916


HTML by Robert T. Netzlof 30 Nov. 1999
HTML revised 3 Jan. 2001
Content heavily revised 29 April 2002
Content expanded 13 June 2002
Typographical error corrected 1 July 2002
Content expanded 18 July 2002
Typographical errors corrected 20 January 2008
Find an error? Have a comment? Tell Bob.