The Wheeling Terminal is a corporation of the States of Ohio and of West Virginia, having its principal office for the State of Ohio at Martins Ferry, and for the State of West Virginia at Wheeling. It is controlled by the Pennsylvania Company through ownership of a majority of the outstanding capital stock. While title to the property was acquired by deed dated June 14, 1900, possession was not given until July 1, 1900. From the latter date to date of valuation the property of the Wheeling Terminal has been operated by its own organization. The road is used under trackage rights by The Wheeling and Lake Erie Railway Company and the Pennsylvania Company.
The Wheeling Terminal was incorporated under the general laws of Ohio and West Virginia. Articles of incorporation dated May 28, 1900, were filed in the office of the secretary of state of Ohio June 20, 1900. Articles of incorporation dated May 31, 1900, were filed June 7, 1900, in the office of the secretary of state of West Virginia, who issued a certificate of incorporation on the same date. The purpose of incorporation was to buy, construct, own, and operate the railway in Ohio and West Virginia known as the Wheeling Bridge and Terminal Railway Company. The following chart shows data on incorporation and succession.
|1||The Wheeling Terminal Railway Company||Under general laws of Ohio June 20, 1900, and of West Virginia June 7, 1900|
|2||Wheeling Bridge and Terminal Railway Company||See 3||Sold under foreclosure May 22, 1900, and conveyed June 14, 1900, to form 1.|
|3||The Wheeling and Harrisburg Railway Company of West Virginia||Under general laws of West Virginia Mar. 25, 1884.||Name changed Sept. 12, 1889, to form 2.|
|4||The Martins Ferry Terminal Railroad Company||Under general laws of Ohio Oct, 5, 1888, and May 20, 1890.||Sold Dec. 12, 1892, under foreclosure and deeded Apr. 10, 1893, to R. H. Stearns and by him deeded Apr. 17, 1893, to form 2.|
|5||Elm Grove and State Line Railroad Company||Under general laws of West Virginia Nov. 10, 1883.||Consolidated Mar. 25, 1884, with 6, to form 3.|
|6||Wheeling and Harrisburg Railway Company||Under general laws of West Virginia Mar. 6, 1882.||Consolidated Mar. 25, 1884, with 5 to form 3.|
The owned mileage of the Wheeling Terminal, 9.773 miles, was acquired by it through reorganization from its predecessor, the Wheeling Bridge and Terminal. Of the four corporations which comprise the line of succession culminating in the Wheeling Terminal as at present constituted, two corporations did not construct or improve any property. These two corporations were: Elm Grove and State Line Railroad Company and Wheeling and Harrisburg Railway Company. The data with respect to the road constructed by the two remaining corporations follows:
|Constructed by The Martins Ferry Terminal Railway Company: Portion of main line including connection with The Wheeling and Lake Erie Railway Company all in Martins Ferry, Ohio, constructed in 1890||2.37|
|Constructed by the Wheeling Bridge and Terminal:|
|Main line across Ohio River Bridge through Wheeling to connect with The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company, including two connections, constructed from 1888 to 1891||4.70|
|Main line from Twenty-seventh Street, Wheeling, to Riverside Iron Works, constructed in 1895||2.20|
|Riverside Iron Works to Benwood, W.Va., constructed in 1896||.38|
|Difference between recorded mileage and mileage inventoried||.123|
|Mileage inventoried as of date of valuation||9.773|
The railroad of the Wheeling Terminal furnishes passenger terminal facilities in Wheeling for The Wheeling and Lake Erie Railway Company. It also has connections for freight transfer business with the tracks of The Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railway Company, The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company, The Wheeling and Lake Erie Railway Company, and The Cleveland and Pittsburgh Railroad Company.
Other companies used jointly with the Wheeling Terminal on the date of valuation facilities owned by it to the extent indicated in the statement following: The amounts stated as rentals receivable are those applicable to the year ended on the date of valuation.
|Solely owned, but jointly used, used with--|
|The Wheeling and Lake Erie Railway Company--|
|Passenger station at Wheeling on basis of $1,200 monthly||$10,800.00|
|Peninsula roundhouse facilities on basis of $38.25 monthly and proportion of expenses||459.00|
|Freight station at Wheeling on basis of $205 monthly and proportion of expenses||2,460.00|
|Entire line on basis of fixed rate per loaded freight car||85,918.53|
|Freight station at Wheeling on basis of $86.66 monthly and proportion of expenses||1,039.92|
|Entire line on basis of fixed rate per loaded freight car||52,421.71|
|Original data source:||Valuation Reports Vol. 23 pp 909, 912-913, 921|
Interstate Commerce Commission
Although published in 1929, the report is "...as of date of valuation" which was 30 June, 1916